Pablo Picasso spent his summers on the Cote d'Azur in the south of France in the 1940's. Inspired by the clarity of the light and the bright Mediterranean colours, Picasso visited Vallauris for the annual pottery exhibition in 1946. Impressed by the quality of the Madoura works, he was introduced to the owners, Suzanne and Georges Ramié, who gave Picasso access to their workshop and all the tools and resources he needed to express his creativity with ceramics and went on to sell his work. He began with simple utilitarian objects, such as plates and bowls, before proceeding to create more ambitious forms such as pitchers and vases. The subjects are very creative and playful, and include Greek mythological figures, animal shapes and face motifs.
This piece is inscribed with 'No 197 Edition Picasso Madoura' and numbered 347/500 in black paint on the underside. White earthenware round plate painted in colours with brushed glaze.
Conceived in 1963 and executed in an edition of 500.
Dimensions (D): 25.1cm